Topic: Direct Instruction Wins
Replies: 30   Last Post: May 10, 2011 5:21 PM

James Elander

Re: Direct Instruction Wins

VERY PROFOUND, I THINK YOU SHOULD GO ON THE CONVENTION CYCLE AND
CREATE THINKERS. (And be sure to stop in Missoula. The math Dept at
the U of M has weekly meetings some of which I attend. There is also a
dept. member that taught at NC before I did.)

Can you imagine I am now 85?

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Shirley Ann <swakin@newhaven.edu> wrote:
> Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I always motivate integration by parts by first showing my students the connection with the product rule but then I do integration by parts the traditional way.
>
> I teach at a large university and students will have as many as 4 different teachers by the time they complete the calculus sequence and DE.  Some of these teachers have very different ways of teaching.  Since there is no consistency, I believe that I am hurting my students if they find themselves in a course where the teacher expects them to know the traditional algorithm.  Many of my students are simply not capable of learning multiple methods.  Also, there are members of my department that do not even allow students to use graphing calculators (and this in an engineering school!)
>
> Another reason I do integration by parts the traditional way is that many of my students use the mathematics resource center (MRC).  When I have taught a topic in a non?traditional way in the past, the tutors in the MRC have either refused to help my students or taught them the material in the traditional way.
>
> My final comment is the textbooks.  I have a PhD and have been teaching for many years but I?m certain that there are many topics that can be taught in non?traditional ways that I have not thought of.  I?m also certain that many teachers, including adjuncts, will not spend the time researching these methods so my question remains:  Is there a calculus book that presents the topics in the ways that you are suggesting?
>
> Shirley Ann

- --
Jim

Date Subject Author