Topic: Undo/Redo
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 1:01 AM

ברק שושני

Re: Undo/Redo

On May 1, 1:22 pm, Bill Rowe <readn...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 4/30/11 at 5:53 AM, bara...@gmail.com (Barak Shoshany) wrote:
>

> >This seems to be a recurring subject in this group.
> >Mathematica is now at version 8 and there's still no multiple undo
> >and redo functionality. I don't understand how such an amazing piece
> >of software can lack such a trivial feature. Why isn't Woflram doing
> >anything about it? Heck, I'll even write the code for undo/redo
> >myself for them for free if they let me. Is there someone at Wolfram
> >I can complain on the matter? Perhaps an internet petition is in
> >order? What do you think?

> Simply put, implementation of undo/redo for something like
> Mathematica is far more complex than you suggest.
>
> Undo/redo in a text editor or word processor is manipulating
> what I will call static text, i.e., text that is to be
> read/printed etc that does not change the state of your machine,
> it not executed. This isn't the case for Mathematica.
>
> You really need to think about what you mean by say undo in the
> context of Mathematica. What does it mean to undo a computation?
> Keep in mind, many mathematical operations have no simple inverse.
>
> Reverting the state of a text document to a previous state is
> quite simple compared to doing the same for a Mathematica session.

I'm only talking about the case of editing text in input cells. It's
quite simple, really. Before pressing Shift+Enter you're just editing
some text, nothing more complicated than that. And sometimes it might
be a lot of text in a single cell. An undo/redo feature while editing
this text would be very very helpful and would have saved me a lot of
work.