The Math Forum

Replies: 44   Last Post: May 12, 2011 8:18 AM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
att1.html (11.3 K)

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Robert Hansen wrote:

> Most students are simply not interested in math and more are not
> interested in physics. We cannot beat that fact of life by remodeling
> these courses for uninterested students, and the period in which we
> tried this will go down in history as a huge blunder.

It was more than a blunder, for it had several aspects (and still
does). For some it was ignorance, to accept the new dicta as good
education and good polity, e.g., to avoid arithmetic on the grounds that
calculators had rendered arithmetic obsolete -- and it permitted more
children to succeed, they had been told, while for others who accepted it
at first it was a mistake not to object once the chorus of objection
should have been answered by a second thought, which NCTM rejected in its
*Principles and Standards* of 2000; but at the highest level it was plain
dishonesty, with an egalitarian ideal presented as justification. The
publishers of schoolroom materials made good use of the "blunder",
especially when some of the private foundations got talked into the new
dispensation, though NSF-EHR, being a leader, needed no persuasion.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 585 275 4429 or (home) 585 244 9368
Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627
<http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/>

Date Subject Author
5/5/11
Read [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Dennis
5/5/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
John Anderson
5/5/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
John Clement
5/5/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Hansen
[...]
5/7/11
Read RE: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Lewis
5/7/11
Read [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Scott Anderson
5/7/11
[...]
5/8/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Lewis
5/8/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Hansen
5/7/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Dennis
5/7/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Hansen
5/8/11
Read Re: [math-learn] Other Comments On High School Algebra 2
Robert Hansen
5/12/11