Topic: Field Test Question
Replies: 36   Last Post: May 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Dina Kushnir

RE: Regents Examinations and the Public Domain: A Socio-Historical
Perspective

I second Neal!
________________________________
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] on behalf of Westendorf, Neal [nwestendorf@taconichills.k12.ny.us]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:18 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Regents Examinations and the Public Domain: A Socio-Historical Perspective

My aunt graduated from Salamanca High School in 1929 at the age of 16 with a commercial diploma just before the crash. She went on to become a manager for the Borden plant in Arcade before the war was over. She and her husband spent their entire married life owning a very successful shoe store in Arcade. They retired very well off indeed. This type of diploma would appeal to a substantial segment of our students who see the current, one size fits all, diploma as irrelevant. Strong and weak students alike constantly question why we are forcing them through this ? stuff that they will never use. The commercial diploma would add relevance while keeping students in school and giving them a reachable goal. It need not diminish the rigor of a high school diploma. Instead, it would offer them a more meaningful route to graduation.

Neal