Topic: mathematica 8 and psfrag
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 15, 2011 6:33 AM

Mark McClure

Re: mathematica 8 and psfrag

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM, pmt <ptiitola@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently updated from mathematica 7.0 to 8.0, and have now encountered problem with replacing
> my plot labels with LaTeX code using the psfrag package. Everything worked perfectly with the
> earlier version and the exact same plots, but now psfrag leaves all labels unchanged. I use Kile
> on Ubuntu 11.04 for LaTeX editing.

I do this frequently and have had no problems, although I use TeXShop
on the Macintosh. One might conjecture that your graphics are being
rasterized, either explicitly or behind the scenes. If you are
rasterizing your graphics, say to reduce the file size of 3D graphics
or to get opacity to work correctly, then you might try overlaying the
text on top of the graphics. Here's an example that includes the
string "expmx2" in four spots; two are inside the Rasterize command
and two are outside.

g = Plot3D[Exp[-x^2 - y^2], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}];
Labeled[
Overlay[{Rasterize[
Show[g, Graphics3D[Text["expmx2", {1, 1, 1}]],
PlotLabel -> "expm2"],
RasterSize -> 800, ImageSize -> 400],
"expmx2"}, Alignment -> {-0.5, 0.5}],
"expmx2"]

I then call LaTeX with the following psfrag command:
\psfrag{expmx2}{$e^{-(x^2+y^2)}$}

Only the two strings outside the Rasterize are affected.

If you are not explicitly calling Rasterize or otherwise converting
your graphics to bitmap, then there may be some other reason that your
graphics are being rasterized behind the scences. Of course, explicit
code exhibiting the problem would help diagnose the problem.

Mark McClure