Topic: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.

Replies: 52   Last Post: Jun 16, 2011 3:14 AM

achille

Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1

On Jun 14, 4:38 pm, Tim Little <t...@little-possums.net> wrote:
> On 2011-06-14, achille <achille_...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
>

> > Isn't we have an upper bound for the irrationality measure
> > of Pi too (current record ~7.6063 (Salikhov 2008)). ie. a
> > bound of the form | Pi - p/q | > const. 1/q^(7.6063).

> Ah yes, that would suffice.  I was not aware that an upper bound had
> been proved.
>

> > If an multiple for e is easy to find (whose irrationality measure is
> > known to be 2), why is it much more difficult to find one for
> > Pi?????

> You may not have seen e's continued fraction sequence.  If you had, it
> would be fairly obvious why various properties are much more easily
> proved for it than for pi.
>
> --
> Tim

Oh, I see it now, the continued fraction of e is indeed very simple.
Thanks for the info.

Date Subject Author
6/12/11
Read The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
fishfry
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
quasi
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
quasi
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
bacle
6/12/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure
< 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
Don Reble
6/13/11
[...]
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
achille
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
jbriggs444@gmail.com
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
William Hughes
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
Uergil
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
LudovicoVan
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1 leaves no determinable gaps.
Uergil
6/15/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/15/11
Read Enumeration of the rationals
William Elliot
6/15/11
Read Re: Enumeration of the rationals
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/15/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
umumenu@gmail.com
6/14/11
[...]
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
6/15/11
[...]
6/16/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure < 1
leaves no determinable gaps.
William Hughes
6/14/11
Read Re: The unit interval covered by a set of intervals with measure <
1 leaves no determinable gaps.
Tim Little
6/14/11