Topic: Re: Geometry Rubric Scoring Clarification - # 37
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jun 27, 2011 11:13 AM

Westendorf, Neal

RE: Geometry Rubric Scoring Clarification - # 37
att1.html (12.2 K)

We worked on finding the points of intersection with the calculator. We
used the graphing tools as well as the table where the y values
coincided. This issue points out what I stressed with my kids-that
graphing by hand is only as good as your ruler or your curve sketching
ability. It falls short very quickly when dealing with curves or
problems using 'real' values for slopes and intercepts. It was quite
unreasonable to expect students to get an exact value of .5 when
sketching a parabola. The key should have included something like
'accept reasonable answers'. I didn't correct that question but would
have been very tempted to allow .7 if the students curve crossed a bit
above the middle of that line. I certainly would have accepted it in
class if they were required to do the problem by hand.

Neal

From: TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 06/24/2011 07:48AM

The only thing that bummed me out about the geometry was the
problem with the measures of 3 arcs given as a ratio. To solve for the
arcs, we'd see 12x=360, x=30. Then, quite a few students filled in the
diagram with the correct arc measures - 150, 120, 90 degrees, and then
wrote down "30 degrees" for the answer. Even though the arithmetic is
trivially simple for many students, since they didn't write down
(150-90)/2, our grading team only gave 2 points, because "how do we know
they didn't think the angle was just x." I don't know if I had more
than 1 student not have 30 degrees for the answer, but many lost 2
points for not showing that work. The rubric states that 150, 90,
120, but no further correct work = 2 points. I tried calling and
calling and calling state ed, but the line was always busy. Grades were
due, we had to make a decision. *sigh*. 1 student shy of 50% mastery
though, so I was relatively happy with my results.

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org