Topic: Functions asymptotic to the x-axis
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 29, 2011 5:21 AM

Rob Johnson

Re: Functions asymptotic to the x-axis

In article <20110727220251.J48523@agora.rdrop.com>,
William Elliot <marsh@rdrop.com> wrote:
>Assume f:R -> R and for all x, lim(n->oo) f(nx) = 0.
>
>If f is continuous, does lim(x->oo) f(x) = 0?
>
>Is continuity needed?

The problem as stated is trivial by letting x = 1. Therefore, I
assume that you intend n to be an integer.

Continuity is necessary. Let f be defined as

f(n/?^k) = ---------
k + n/?^k

f(x) = 0 elsewhere

where ? is the golden ratio. f is well-defined and for
all x, lim_{n->oo} f(nx) = 0, where n is restricted to
the integers.

If n = [k ?^k], then f(n/?^k) > 1/2 and n/?^k > k-1.

Thus, f(x) > 1/2 for arbitrarily large x = n/?^k.

I haven't yet found what kind of continuity is necessary
to insure that lim_{x->oo} f(x) = 0.

Rob Johnson <rob@trash.whim.org>
take out the trash before replying
to view any ASCII art, display article in a monospaced font