Topic: Poincare section for double pendulum
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 3, 2011 6:23 AM

Christoph Lhotka

Re: Poincare section for double pendulum

Hello,

this is just a starting point...

Try to solve your problem with the method "EventLocator" in NDSolve to
limit your output to values on the Poincaré surface of section.
You could use e.g. FindInstance to get a good set of initial conditions
for given energy value of the Hamiltonian.

Good luck,

Christoph

On 29/07/2011 14:02, gal bevc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a relatively new user of Mathematica, who doesn't have much of
> programming skills. For my undergraduate assingment I must analyze chaotic
> motion of double pendulum.
>
> Until now i have got system of differential equations for equations of
> motion for double pendulum(i have x''[t]=function(t) and
> y''[t]=function(t)). System of differential equations can be solved for 4
> inital conditions, x[0],y[0],x'[0] and y'[0]. With using function NDSolve i
> got functions of angles and angular velocities for upper and lower pendulum
> with respect to time, x[t],x'[t],y[t] and y'[t].
>
> To get a poincare section of double pendulum, i have to record position of
> y[t] and y'[t] whenever x[t] is equal to zero and the velocity of x'[t]

is a