Topic: Re: The world's biggest problem? Too many people
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Kirby Urner

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 5:20 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Pardon my obtuseness, but I really fail to understand >Haim's remarks on the first part of the argument being
>"debatable" and the second part being "preposterous".

>To my mind, human population growth on earth shares many
>characteristics with a cancer in a human body. That it
>is a serious problem is not debatable at all. Perhaps it
>is not as great a problem as over-consumption and
>wasteful consumption by the human species of available
>planetary resources (though definitely the over-
>population significantly contributes to the over-
>consumption).

Misanthropy is not the only attitude to take.

Humans have capabilities you wouldn't have guessed from their early beginnings, unless you had seen the phenomenon on some other planet before.

The general trend seems to be for population growth to level off when security for one's offspring and self are attained, meaning you don't need multiple children for insurance that at least a couple will live long enough to support children and the elderly.

Women then choose lifestyles where they don't have to surrender so many years to pregnancy and childbirth. They enter professions etc.

Providing security has a lot to do with the availability of electricity. Much comes with that (its a parameter with which many trends are bundled).

That's why a global electrification group such as GENI (geni.org) touts itself as having an answer for over-crowding.

"Do what we're advocating and your population pressures will go down" is their attitude.

Currently, mathematics and geography are somewhat divorced and the various graphs that overlay the earth, the networks of wires, transportation routes (old and new), other infrastructure, are mostly not studied.

> I entirely fail to understand why Haim should feel that the second part of the argument is "preposterous".

> I'm afraid I also fail to understand Haim's latest 'valedictory': "Shovel ready? What shovel ready?"

That's another supposed jab at the USG's latest recovery plan, a classic C + I + G government spending initiative. "Shovel ready" was one of the slogans.

I used it in some development proposals here:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/02/shovel-ready.html

Check out this book from OSCON by the way, part of a series. You could see this as consistent with my "toontown" initiative in math education:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/5988218440/in/set-72157627166240377

Kirby