Topic: Functional composition: "op"
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 18, 2011 1:18 PM

Stephen J. Herschkorn

Re: Functional composition: "op"
att1.html (1.5 K)

W^3 wrote:

>In article <4E4C63B6.2080007@netscape.net>,
> "Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjherschko@netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>In America, at least, when pronouncing f o g (the composition of
>>functions f and g), we say "eff op gee" (right?).
>>

>I never heard that. I always heard "f composed with g". But I studied
>analysis mainly.
>

>> That is, we
>>read the composition operator as "op."

Others echo W^3.

Hmm. I have been saying this for years, and it's what I'm teaching my
students. Does anyone else say this, or did I mishear it somewhere
along the way?

--
Stephen J. Herschkorn sjherschko@netscape.net
Math Tutor on the Internet and in Central New Jersey and Manhattan