Topic: January Regents Exams
Replies: 20   Last Post: Sep 11, 2011 7:34 PM

precopio@nycap.rr.com

Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
att1.html (12.9 K)

Oh yes you are absoutley right. WE had a teacher who used to point at certain things and tell them to 'look it over' and yes we also had the one who would emphasize when reading -
" Is the answer a....(softly) or
b.....(softly) or

C ( emphasize C loudly)
Yes , I kid you not!
When the principal called her on it, she claimed she didn't know you couldn't do that!

----- Original Message -----
From: msedfun@aol.com
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored

1) The teacher reads the question under her breath so the student can hear it emphasizes certain important words.

2) Pointing to a part of a reading selection and asking the student if she "read it carefully?"
3) Having a group of students stand at the teacher's desk while she "explains" what a portion of a reading selection is stating.

I.E. - words of assistance - you should read the second paragraph again; are you sure you answered ALL the parts of the question? (Of course all these words are preceded with statements such as: I know it's difficult; you are doing such a wonderful job; you can do it if you take your time and look at every part of the question carefully...etc., etc.)
I.E. - words of encouragement - you are doing a wonderful job; look how much you have finished; this is beautiful work; you are working very hard - good job; I'm so proud of you; I knew you could do it; etc., etc.

Tzippy