Topic: Partial order and topology
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 16, 2011 6:25 PM

Stephen J. Herschkorn

Re: Partial order and topology
att1.html (2.0 K)

Butch Malahide wrote:

>On Sep 13, 10:45 pm, "Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjhersc...@netscape.net>

>>- If X and Y are partially ordered sets that are homeomorphic under
>>order topologies, are X and Y necessarily order-isomorphic?

>Not even for totally ordered sets. The integers, the positive
>integers, and the negative integers are three non-isomorphic ordered
>sets, but they all have the discrete topology.

>>- Is it true that any space can be given a partial order such that the
>>topology is the order topology?

>There are 4 distinct topologies (3 nonhomeomorphic ones) on the set
>{0,1}, but only 3 distinct partial orders (2 nonisomorphic ones). So I
>would say the answer is no.

So I alter the question: Can any topological space be embedded in a
partial-order space? For example,
({0, 1}, {{}, {0}, {0, 1}}) can be embedded in the space {0, 1, 2}
with the partial order {(0, 2)}.

(Remember that a subspace of a topological space with the order topology
does not necssarily have the topology from the order restricted to that

Stephen J. Herschkorn sjherschko@netscape.net
Math Tutor on the Internet and in Central New Jersey and Manhattan