Topic: Common Core
Replies: 37   Last Post: Nov 2, 2011 7:25 PM

Eric.Blask@greece.k12.ny.us

From: United States
Registered: 7/18/11
Re: Common Core
att1.html (8.1 K)

I just got word from the state that NYS is implementing Achieve's
traditional pathway (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II) as outlined in
Appendix A at
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/common_core_standards/pdfdocs/ccssi_mathematics_appendix_a.pdf
.

The timeline for the first administrations of Algebra I and Geometry are
Algebra I June 2013 and Geometry June 2014. This info can be found on the
state website in their timeline at
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/common_core_standards/ccstimeline.html

Eric

Eric Blask
Director of Mathematics
Greece Central School District
(585)-966-2437
Twitter: @BlaskEric

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is from the Office of Math within
the Greece Central School District. The message and any attachments may
be confidential or privileged and are intended only for the individual or
entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are not
authorized to read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachments,
we ask that you please delete this message and any attachments and notify
the sender by return email or by the number listed above.

From: elizwaite@aol.com
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 09/26/2011 09:03 PM
Subject: Re: Common Core
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org

That's not necessarily what the new york state breakdown will be.
LizWaite

From: Nick B <nbiancul@ic.sunysb.edu>
Sender: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:52:41
To: <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>

I've run through all of the documentation both from the Common Core and
from New
York State on engageny.org and the important question of what we're
teaching in
which course is very much unanswered. The documentation has all of high
school
math laid out by overarching topic and not by course. The only
documentation I
can find by course are those documents kindly posted by www.jmap.org, and
that
documentation is a draft with lots of cross outs and ambiguities. If I am
not
looking in the right spot on the engaging website, please point me in the
right
direction :)

While I believe in the Common Core, it will only be successful in New York
if
teachers know what they are responsible for teaching in each course. The
current
documentation is inexcusably nebulous and quite unhelpful in deciding the
direction of our year-to-year curricula.

The other concern I have with the Common Core is that it seems as though
it is
being phased in all at once. I would argue that kids coming from the
eighth
grade into the new algebra course as outlined by the JMAP documents are in
for a
rude awakening in terms of what they are being asked to do and understand.
This
is why it is critical that NYSED do a lot more than it has done in terms
of
getting districts and teachers ready for the Core.
*

- --
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 0mFAWPd92) is spam:
Spam:
http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mFAWPd92&m=a955f4114f3b&t=20110925&c=s

Not spam:
http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0mFAWPd92&m=a955f4114f3b&t=20110925&c=n