Topic: Problem with movie-command
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 17, 2011 9:08 AM

Martina

Re: Problem with movie-command

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ja0g57$keo$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> "Martina " <sir.henry2@gmx.net> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have started experimenting with MATLAB's movie function just today, but
> > I can't really seem to wrap my head around ist. Is there a detailed
> > tutorial on using the movie functions?
> >
> > Look at the following code for example. The arguments numtimes and fps
> > seem to be (partly) ignored by matlab: The speed of the movie does not
> > change, no matter what fps is, and although numtimes = 1 the movie runs
> > twice. What am I doing wrong? And where can I learn working with movie
> > from scratch?

> The run twice behavior is described in this Technical Support document:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-16FM0/index.html?solution=1-16FM0
>
> I'm not certain what is causing the behavior you're seeing with the FPS
> input; the documentation indicates that if your machine can't handle the
> desired FPS, it will play as fast as it can, but with your code below you're
> asking for 3 frames per second.
>
> As for a tutorial, I would first recommend the documentation: type "doc
> movie" without the quotes at the MATLAB prompt. If that doesn't give you
> enough information, then my next stop would be this example that is linked
> from the MOVIE function's reference page:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f10-1460.html#f10-15002
>
> There are also other functions that you can use to create a movie,
> particularly if your end goal is to create a file that can be played outside
> MATLAB. Look at the AVIFILE function:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/avifile.html
>
> and/or VideoWriter:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/videowriterclass.html
>
> although if you're using a version of MATLAB old enough that you're seeing
> the "run twice" behavior VideoWriter may not be available in your version
> (it may have been introduced in a later release.)
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> http://www.mathworks.com

I "solved" the problem with the fps - it wasn't a real problem, I just got confused because of the two runs. The first one always has the same speed, but the second one has the intended speed. That's allright.

What's left - how can I get rid of that annoying first run? (The workaround provided in your link is not helpful because in that case it is not possible to change the fps.)