Topic: Recursion Problem
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 22, 2011 9:44 PM

MTBrenneman@gmail.com

Re: Recursion Problem

On Nov 17, 4:13 am, William Elliot <ma...@rdrop.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, junoexpress wrote:

> > The question is this:
> > "If I know the influxes for each year and start out with no deficit
> > what is the maximum fixed amount of M&Ms (i.e. the maximum value for
> > B) I can take out so at the end of n years, I will have no deficit?"

> min{ a1, a2,.. a_n }
>

> > Not an easy problem, and I don't think it probably has a "nice"
> > solution, but just thought I would see if anyone had a better thought.

> It's made messy by the results depending not only
> on the values of the a's but also on their order.

Your mention of the minimum of the inputs got to me thinking about
what the solution must be like.
One complicating aspect of this problem is that significant portions
of the data may be unimportant (as in the toy problem). Some key
facts, I believe however are that:
1) B is a solution when it causes us to break even the last year
2) The window of data points relevant to our analysis must go from the
minimum of the {A_i} to the last data point.