Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 30, 2011 9:32 AM

Peter Beck

RE: [ap-calculus] euler's identity

e^(theta*i) allows you to find the value of any theta using the unit circle on the complex plane.

For instance:
e^(0*i)=1 because the radian measure is zero yielding the coordinate (1, 0i)
e^(pi*i)=-1 because the radian measure is pi yielding the coordinate (-1, 0i)

So e^(pi/2*i) will equal i since the the radian measure is pi/2 yielding the coordinate (0, i).

So to describe e^i, it is the coordinate found by rotating 1 radian on the unit circle in the complex plane.

Peter Beck
Carmel High School
520 E Main St.
Carmel, IN 46032