Topic: Cardinality: revisited.
Replies: 12   Last Post: Dec 27, 2011 2:26 PM

fishfry

Re: Cardinality: revisited.

In article
<54284908-07b3-4695-ba16-dbef0ece550b@o9g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,
Zuhair <zaljohar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I shall re-iterate one of my older definitions of Cardinality:
>
> The cardinality of any set x is the set of all sets that are
> equinumerous to x and hereditarily subnumerous to x.

Doesn't this run into the "set of all sets" problem? By your definition,
a cardinal is a proper class, which makes using cardinals technical and
difficult.

That's why the traditional (ZF) approach is to choose a canonical set to
represent each cardinality, rather than using the class of all
bijectively equivalents sets.