Topic: FW: Questkion about Expiration Date on Courses > course readiness
tests

Replies: 13   Last Post: Jan 17, 2012 10:08 AM

Schell, Vicki J.

FW: Questkion about Expiration Date on Courses > course readiness
tests

image001.jpg (2.2 K)
att1.html (14.8 K)

We have "readiness quizzes" in most of our courses. However, enforcing them is difficult. We use them to help convince students that they are ready [or not], but if they choose to ignore the results, we can't insist that they move back.

Vicki Schell

From: owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Clyde Greeno
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 2:32 PM
To: Collinge, Peter (Mathematics); Spencer-Barnes, Amanda G (Hazard); mathedcc@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Questkion about Expiration Date on Courses > course readiness tests

So, the next question is:

Has any college department created a (CRE) series of "Course Readiness Examinations" for use in every course, Calculus 3 and below? ... on the *first day* of the course, while students can still drop/add courses without losing money.

How else can students and teachers know if/which students are ready for the course. Since "Placement tests" and transcripts are quite inadequate for such purposes, reliance on them is grossly unfair to students ... a bit like allowing them to join the army without physical examinations.
"CREs" could be a very simple way of greatly improving the success/retention rate.

Clyde Greeno,
MALEI Mathematics Institute