Topic: Win7 "not responding"; WinXP no problem w/ my Manipulate
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 15, 2013 3:35 AM

John Fultz

Re: Win7 "not responding"; WinXP no problem w/ my Manipulate

This is a reasonable and accurate explanation of what's going on and
what the preferred mechanisms of dealing with it are. These would be
preferred even under older Windows OS's or other operating systems
because use of Method->"Queued" or SynchronousUpdating->False for
time-consuming operations will leave the FE responsive, and having a
responsive FE should be important for any interface.

I'd like to fix one other inaccuracy not yet addressed that came up in
this thread. In an earlier post, you said:

> I see that Mathematica 9.0, unlike Mathematica 8 and before, evidently
does not employ java to implement its Manipulate functionality.

Mathematica has *never* employed Java to implement Manipulate
functionality.

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group