Topic: 0 as a natural number
Replies: 40   Last Post: Sep 19, 2014 2:41 PM

Brian Chandler

Re: 0 as a natural number

The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
> "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote...
>

> > In article
> > <bc4c4497-661a-477f-b8f1-9c5400f9b3b8@k3g2000pbn.googlegroups.com>,
> > Brian Chandler <imaginatorium@despammed.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I suppose 'entier' means integer (entier() is the Algol60 function
> >>corresponding to floor())

> > Do you have any idea why this one function was given a French name?

> I contacted Peter Naur about this word in Algol 60 - he thought that it was
> probably already in Algol 58. I then contacted Fredrich Bauer about Algol 58
> and he had no particular recollection about the origin of the term. The
> mystery remains.

According to WP, the "floor" name was only coined in 1962:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_and_ceiling_functions

I've no idea how reliable this claim is, but I remember meeting [ ]
and also entier() at a time when I am fairly sure I had never heard of
floor(), in um the 60s. It's easy to imagine someone wanting a
"different" word for 'integer' for the purposes of naming this
function, and simply choosing the French word (IMO).

Brian Chandler

Date Subject Author
1/27/12
Read 0 as a natural number
Jose Carlos Santos
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
quasi
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Butch Malahide
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
David C. Ullrich
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Paul
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Butch Malahide
1/28/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
David C. Ullrich
1/28/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
G. A. Edgar
1/28/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
David C. Ullrich
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Paul
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
The Last Danish Pastry
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Butch Malahide
1/28/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
David C. Ullrich
1/28/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
Paul
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
The Last Danish Pastry
1/27/12
Read Re: 0 as a natural number
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/30/12
Read Re: Fred has invented doublemove chess
Paul
1/30/12
Read OT: double-move chess
Butch Malahide