Topic: Good Read about Teachers
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 1, 2012 8:12 AM

Westendorf, Neal

RE: Good Read about Teachers

Wow, thank you for posting this. I am getting so sick and tired of being the public's and the politician's whipping boy because I have chosen to be a professional educator. Teachers and teaching are revered in the rest of the world but not in the US of A. All this teacher bashing is intended to do only one thing-distract the public from the real problems we face. Those problems are deeply ingrained in our culture and likely getting deeper. How is it that we are the cause of all of the ills our students deal with outside of the small percentage of their lives that are spent in our classrooms? The points made in your post are excellent. But then, what do we do to change this misconception?

I challenge any of these 'armchair educators' to come spend a couple of weeks in our classrooms completely on their own. Forget subbing where we do all the planning and follow up. You do it all, start to finish. Then we can sit down over a well deserved cup of espresso at Ten O'clock at night and discuss what we are doing wrong. I would love to see our politicians and board members on the sub list! After you have done what we do, IF you can hack it, then let's sit down, discuss and negotiate.

Those who can, teach. Teach the future generations of doctors, lawyers, firemen, policemen, coaches, politicians and board members. Yes we are in need of improvement. So are our students. So let's stop all this finger pointing, roll our sleeves up and figure out what more needs to be done, together.

Time to get back to my lesson planning and correcting.

Neal