Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 2:25 AM

Wes Loewer

Re: [ap-calculus] hyperbolic functions in AB

On 2/17/2012 6:15 PM, Scott Kennedy wrote:

> The problem 2004 AB3 asks for the acceleration at time t=2 given that
> v(t) = 1 - arctan(e^t). This is a calculator active question, and
> when differentiated it gives a function that includes cosh. I never
> taught my students hyperbolic functions, and was a bit surprised
> because I was not aware that they are part of the AB curriculum. Do
> I need to spend time teaching these functions? Or is there a better
> way to approach this situation?
>
> S. Kennedy

Since you're only looking for the numeric answer, perhaps it would be
better to encourage the students to use

d(1-arctan(e^t),t)|t=2.0

Hyperbolic functions are not required for either AB or BC. However, if
time allows, I like to introduce them.

-wes

====
Course related websites: