Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 2:25 AM

Wes Loewer

Re: [ap-calculus] hyperbolic functions in AB

On 2/17/2012 6:15 PM, Scott Kennedy wrote:

> The problem 2004 AB3 asks for the acceleration at time t=2 given that
> v(t) = 1 - arctan(e^t). This is a calculator active question, and
> when differentiated it gives a function that includes cosh. I never
> taught my students hyperbolic functions, and was a bit surprised
> because I was not aware that they are part of the AB curriculum. Do
> I need to spend time teaching these functions? Or is there a better
> way to approach this situation?
> S. Kennedy

Since you're only looking for the numeric answer, perhaps it would be
better to encourage the students to use

Hyperbolic functions are not required for either AB or BC. However, if
time allows, I like to introduce them.

Course related websites:
To unsubscribe click here: