The Math Forum

Topic: Re: Who is the greatest published mathematician in history? If you
were asked..

Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 1, 2012 11:41 PM

Jerry Johnson

Re: Who is the greatest published mathematician in history? If you were asked..

Please be aware that this exercise has been done multiple times in different
formats...
1) http://afrodita.rcub.bg.ac.rs/~flora/100.html
2) http://fabpedigree.com/james/mathmen.htm
3) http://www.lesbillgates.com/100_Greats.html
4) http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/apr/11/the-10-best-mathematicians
5) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100330065148AAZWGD4
6) http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/education/edu-scientists.htm
7) http://www.eoht.info/page/Greatest+mathematician+ever
8) http://fabpedigree.com/james/grmatm6.htm
9) http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/madgreatest.html
10) http://math2033.uark.edu/wiki/index.php/20th_Century_Mathematicians
11) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070916055604AAVoYUb
12) http://www.famousmathematician.com/
13) http://math-fail.com/2009/10/list-of-famous-mathematicians.html
14)
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/list-of-famous-mathematicians-and-their-contributions.html
15) http://www.buzzle.com/articles/famous-women-mathematicians.html

I will stop there, though more lists are available. Rather than spar with
each other as to who should be on the list, I suggest time is better spent
on discussing:
1) What is the criteria for being named a "great mathematician" and is
publishing an important aspect (e.g. Fermat)?
2) Why do the lists show so much bias: Eurocentric, etc.?
3) Is it fair to compare mathematicians of a given century against
mathematicians of another century, given that the term "mathematician" is a
relatively recent occupation?

Jerry Johnson