Topic: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Clyde Greeno

MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open

From: "Clyde Greeno" <clydegreeno@cox.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:17 AM
To: "Linda Zientek" <lrzientek@yahoo.com>; "AMATYC DMC"
<amatyc-dmc@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open

> Webinar description, as posted:
> "Mathematical Literacy for College Students (MLCS) is a new course that is
> part of an AMATYC initiative called New Life for Developmental Math as
> well as the Carnegie Quantway project. It is an innovative way to
> redesign the developmental curriculum, providing pathways for the non-STEM
> student. The course uses integrated, contextual lessons to develop
> conceptual understanding and technology to improve mastery of skills. In
> one semester, a student placing into beginning algebra will gain the
> mathematical maturity to be successful in statistics, liberal arts math,
> or intermediate algebra. Reading, writing, critical thinking, and problem
> solving are key components to reaching that goal. Webinar participants
> will learn much more about the course as well as receive ideas for course
> development including a sample course outline and a sample lesson. "
> =================
> Excerpt about "Position paper":
> " ... the appropriate preparation that all students should receive in
> developmental math courses. "??
> ================
>
> As yet, I have seen no indication that "Mathematical Literacy for College
> Students" ... or any other "reformed" course ... has addressed the need
> for empowering American adults with strong *conceptual understanding* of
> K-basicAlgebra mathematics ... so that they can make school mathematics
> fully commonsensible to children. Most college students are "pre-service"
> parents ... and most of the rest are "in-service" parents. The vast
> majority arrive at college with little mathematical comprehension of K-8
> mathematics ... and colleges typically have not provided it (even to
> pre-service/in-service teachers) ... which explains why the schools do/can
> not do so.
>
> How can we speak of "mathematical literacy" of adults who cannot make
> personal common sense of K-8 mathematics?
>
> Hopefully,
>

> Clyde Greeno,
> Academic Director and
> Clinical Professor of Mathematics Instruction
> The American Institute for the Improvement
> of Mathematics Learning and Instruction
> P.O. Box 54845
> Tulsa, OK 74155
> Tel: 918-836-6284
> e-mail: greeno@malei.org

Date Subject Author
4/5/12
Read MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/5/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Kathleen Almy
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/6/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/7/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/9/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
4/10/12
Read RE: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Blustein, Bonnie
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/11/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Phil Mahler
4/12/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Alain Schremmer
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Wayne Mackey
4/10/12
Read Re: MLCS Webinar on April 24: Registration Open
Guy Brandenburg
4/8/12