Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 13, 2012 2:03 PM

Mark Wise

RE: [ap-stat] District Goal for AP scores

While I think setting a goal is a great idea, I have to agree that the consequences is of concern. What happens if 90% is not attained. I have been teaching stats for about 12 years and I have about 75% of my kids take the test and about 70-75% pass it(3 or higher). I have a pretty open policy of who takes the course--must have passed Alg II. I always recommend that every student should take at least one AP test in High School. This means sometimes I have students who have not prepared themselves take it and they don't pass but I think it gives them a good idea what some of their college finals will look like--AP test is probably harder than most. On the other side, I have had great students not take the test for various reasons--schools wouldn't accept, they were scared they wouldn't get a qualifying score for their school, money, taking another AP that day or day before or after and had more confidence in other class, etc... So that lowers my passing rate. Also, a lot of my former students--those that took test and passed, took test and didn't pass, and those who didn't take test--have talked to me and said AP Stats was one of the most useful classes they took. If we restrict the entrance to the class... what happens

All in all the goal is fine but just worried about what happens if you don't meet this goal.

Mark A Wise
JBHS
Mercersburg, PA