Topic: Lego NXT Motor and Joystic
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 18, 2012 3:16 AM

Dan Lluch

Re: Lego NXT Motor and Joystic

"Christophe Herault" <herault.christophe@gmail.com> wrote in message <jp3kch$2hi$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to "pilot" two motors from the Lego NXT2, which is implement in the Matlab version 2012a, through the external mode (Bluetooth).
>
> I am using the jostick from the aerospace panel from Simulink.
>
> So the first step is to connect the two motors on the NXT brick, but i don't know what kind of signal should i send to the motors.
> Actually, after various test, i am not able to pilot my motors...any idea ?
>
> Could you help me please ?
>
> Thanks for your help and support.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christophe

Hi Chrisophe... for this application - sending commands to motors on Lego NXT via a joystick hooked up to the host, I believe I would recommend this interface instead:
http://www.mathworks.com/academia/lego-mindstorms-nxt-software/legomindstorms-matlab.html

Using Simulink MATLAB file s-functions (or other means to call into MATLAB), I think you'll get what you want.

The built-in capability in R2012a is primarily for putting algorithms on the NXT, which it doesn't seem you are doing. Also external mode, is for remote monitoring and parameter tuning (that does work over bluetooth). But it isn't really for being able to hook up a joystick from the host to drive the NXT (although there are likely ways to get that done via external mode).

Anyway, just from what you have in your question, I believe I would point you to looking at the other interfacing option. Note that you can explore both and then see which best suits your needs.