The Math Forum

Topic: Regenst Exams and grading
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 11:51 PM

Brent Neeley

Re: Regenst Exams and grading
att1.html (12.2 K)

I believe the new grading procedures do not apply this year, and teachers can still grade/proctor their own exams this June if district policy allows it. I seem to recall reading that in last fall's AMTNYS newsletter.

Right?

B. Neeley
Hornell HS
----- Original Message -----
From: JFish@csufsd.org
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Cc: nyshsmath@mathforum.org ; owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 12:16 PM
Subject: RE: Regenst Exams and grading

One other thought.....assuming we ship our exams to another school and another school sends theirs to us...........

I teach in a very small school in which about 80 kids take the Algebra II Regents exam. I will not be very happy if the "exchange" results in us sending out 80 exams and then receiving 170 from another school. Will this be safeguarded as well?

What a farce this system is going to be!!!

Sincerely,

Jim Fish

Mathematics Department
JFK High School
305 Cayuga Creek Road
Cheektowaga, NY 14227
(716)897-7800 ext. 1120

"Mathematics is a key that allows the mind to unlock many doors to the future."

"Westendorf, Neal" <nwestendorf@taconichills.k12.ny.us>
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
05/21/2012 11:53 AM Please respond to
nyshsmath@mathforum.org

To <nyshsmath@mathforum.org>
cc
Subject RE: Regenst Exams and grading

I completely agree with Tom. I can?t imagine grading high stakes exams for other disciplines nor having them attempt to do mine. I have a major problem with the expense and time required to get them to and from another school or some sort of regional grading center in a timely manner. Who is paying for all of this? If the powers that be trust us so little that we can?t grade our own exams objectively and honestly, then so be it. The exams should stay in school and other members of our dept grade my papers and so on.

As an aside, I would like to have a long chat with those in our profession who have created this mess in the first place. Grade the papers objectively and fairly, period. Thanks a lot for the erasures and changes and whatever else you did that got us to the point where I and my colleagues are guilty until proven innocent!

Neal
Taconic Hills

From: Steven Fenton
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 05/20/2012 06:19PM

I am talking about grading the parts of the regents exam that is not multiple choice. When we were grading the assessments; teachers were not allowed to score their own students. Members of the math department have expressed reservations about the level of material to be graded on the Geo and Trig Regents - I can only imagine what a teacher of another discipline will go through when directed to grade a math regents.
*

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 0nHcmjeNt) is spam:
Spam: http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0nHcmjeNt&m=894d594b78e2&t=20120520&c=s
Not spam: http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0nHcmjeNt&m=894d594b78e2&t=20120520&c=n
Forget vote: http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?i=0nHcmjeNt&m=894d594b78e2&t=20120520&c=f
END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
******************************************************************* * To unsubscribe from this mailing list, email the message * "unsubscribe nyshsmath" to majordomo@mathforum.org * * Read prior posts and download attachments from the web archives at * http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumIDg1 *******************************************************************

Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote