Topic: Regenst Exams and grading
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 11:51 PM

Evelyne Stalzer

Re: Regenst Exams and grading
att1.html (2.6 K)

My high school in the Bronx will be participating in a central scoring
location procedure for grading regents exams. The details are still being
discussed, but the procedure will look like this:

Each school sends a pre-determined number of qualified teachers to score a
particular regents exam. The number of teachers is tied to the number of
regents that school will be contributing for grading, so the burden should
remain equitable among both small and large schools. The teachers will
work at the central location (hosted by one of our local high schools)
until the regents papers are graded. Four regents will be included in the
process this year. The math regents that is included is integrated
algebra, so teachers will still be scoring their own students at their own
schools for geometry and algebra 2.

Curiously, the commitment of the number of teachers and number of days they
have to be at the central location is more teacher-days than we usually
need to score our own IA exams. I imagine they wanted to make sure they
were not caught short, plus they probably have some logistic overhead that
needs to be dealt with.

This leaves us with a shortage of teachers in our school building for some
of the regents, and has resulted in tighter proctoring schedules and some
concerns about grading other exams, particularly the social studies exam
that's not part of this new process.

I'm sure there will be some nuisances and perhaps a couple of amusing
stories (at least after-the-fact-amusing) by the time this whole thing is
over and done. But at least at that point we can all breathe a sigh of
relief and take a well-deserved break.

Evelyne Stalzer