Topic: Regenst Exams and grading
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 11:51 PM

Evelyne Stalzer

Re: Regenst Exams and grading

Among all my colleagues, and glad to say also with my principal, there
is an understanding that only certified full time teachers in the
discipline may grade those regents.

In practice, we went beyond the idea that merely having the cert in
that field was enough. For example, I teach more geometry than anyone
else in the building, plus I actually like the subject. So when we
assemble to grade the geometry regents, any proofs, constructions, or
locus questions are assigned to me. A teacher of other kinds of math
often does not have the experience to grade those questions well, and
certainly not quickly, plus they often dread having to do them.

Our math faculty is a collegial group, and we simply meet and put the
question numbers on the board to allow any teacher to sign up for
grading the questions he or she prefers. Since we always have at
least three math teachers, we meet the requirements for the grading
committee.

What I don't know is exactly where it says that the grading committee
be comprised of at least three such "qualified" teachers, which is I
think the piece you need. If there is an excerpt in the regs or SED
guidance with that language, you could objectively provide it to your
principal.

Does anyone know what the written word is, and where?

Evelyne

*