Topic: Access ColorOrder at Figure level
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 25, 2012 11:53 AM

Steven Lord

Re: Access ColorOrder at Figure level

"Paul" <paul.domaskis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On May 24, 10:08 am, "Steven_Lord" <sl...@mathworks.com> wrote:
>>"Paul" <paul.domas...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The help for ColorOrder says that one can set the ColorOrder at the
>>> Figure level. I tried to access this as a Figure property through the
>>> GUI, but no such property is listed. Am I wrongly interpreting the
>>> help?

>> Are you referring to this documentation?
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/axes_props.html#ColorOrder
>> I don't see any reference to the figure in that. Or this
>> documentation that talks about setting the _default_ ColorOrder for
>> a figure, which will affect all axes created in that figure after
>> the default is set?
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/bqsxy_a-1.html
>> Setting defaults for a property is a little different than setting
>> the property itself. In particular, the object on which you call SET
>> is different.
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f7-21465.html

> Hi, Steven,
> It's none of those pages. It's odd that neither of the 1st two pages
> about ColorOrder links to the one I am referring to:
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/bqsxy_a-1.html

Certain topics are covered in multiple places in the documentation. But if
you compare URLs the second one I posted matches this one.

> But I found the answer by re-reading that page more carefully:
> get(gcf,'DefaultAxesColorOrder')

Yes, that will change the default value for the ColorOrder property used by
any axes that are later created in the figure whose handle was returned by
that call to GCF. [Note that this will not affect existing axes unless they
get cleared as per a call to PLOT or CLA or the like, which reset the
ColorOrder property to the (new) default.]

Steve Lord