Topic: Converting an imported STL into a solid Region for integration?
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 27, 2012 4:43 AM

Oliver Ruebenkoenig

Re: Converting an imported STL into a solid Region for integration?

On Sat, 26 May 2012, dr DanW wrote:

> I am trying to compute the center of gravity and mass moments of Pro/E solid models I have imported as STL's. Once in Mathematica, the models are polygons that define the surfaces of the objects. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get Mathematica to treat these as boundaries that define a solid Region so I can numerically perform the integration? I've done such integrals before, but I had mathematical expressions for the surfaces; now I only have data to define the surfaces.
>
> I realize I could do this in Pro/E, but I am not myself a user of Pro/E, just a consumer. Besides, eventually I want to calculations within SystemModeler based on data extracted from the solid models.
>
> Thank you for the help,
> Daniel

Daniel,

have a look at the TetGenLink tutorial. There a similar example is
discussed.

TetGenLink/tutorial/UsingTetGenLink#423424220

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/TetGenLink/tutorial/UsingTetGenLink.html#509267359

Hth,

Oliver