Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 14, 2012 7:18 AM

Lenore Horner

Re: [ap-calculus] resources for a student

For such a long-term arrangement, I would suggest one of the MIT courses rather than Khan. Since the videos are of the entire lecture sequence, your student is will get exposed to motivation and connections rather than just how do we solve problems like this. The math courses are listed at: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/. I suggest looking at a lecture or two yourself from 18.01sc, 18.01 and possibly 18.013A and suggest one of them to your student. Hippocampus is another option: http://www.hippocampus.org/Calculus%20%26%20Advanced%20Math;jsessionid=921D44AF08E97108EC58840A237EC0DC for AB or http://www.hippocampus.org/Calculus%20%26%20Advanced%20Math;jsessionid=921D44AF08E97108EC58840A237EC0DC for BC. There is also Visual Calculus http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/.

Lenore Horner
7 Hills
Cincinnati, OH

On Jun 12, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Evan Romer wrote:

> I have a student who should be in my AP Calc class next year, but will have to be out of school until February. He's was a good Precalc student this year (in both effort and understanding).
>
> My thought is, maybe he can study on his own and keep up with the course so that he can join the class in February. He wouldn't get course credit, but he could learn the material and be ready for the AP exam. My idea is to send him my assignments and answers. For instruction, I 'm thinking of telling him (a) use the textbook, (b) use Khan Academy.
>
> Any thoughts about this? Are there other instructional resources I should send him to? (I think paying for an online course is not an option, and I assume there is no such thing as a free online course?)
>
> Evan Romer
> Susquehanna Valley HS
>
> ====
> Course related websites:http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusab
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusbc
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_forums/
> To change your subscription address or other settings click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_account/edit

====
Course related websites:
---