Topic: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Replies: 63   Last Post: Jun 19, 2012 12:12 PM

Snit

Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line

On 6/18/12 9:27 PM, in article
7734b3d3-d09f-48c9-9557-22ba000f31c0@d6g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, "Onion
Knight" <onionknightgot@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 3:29 am, Onion Knight <onionknight...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There has been a debate in COLA as to if the distance from the mean to
>> the inflection point is where the standard deviation should be.  One
>> person is saying that this distance is where the line should always be
>> drawn while one other is saying the distance from the mean is
>> irrelevant and it is only the area under the curve that matters.  The
>> first agrees the area under the curve is also always the same but
>> insists the inflection point is where the line should be drawn.  He
>> even produced a video to show his
>> ideashttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoW3hMq-eIc
>> and he showed what he claimed was an incorrectly depicted image and
>> showed where he says it should be http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/sd.png
>>
>> I admit this goes over my head. Is he correct? Is it really that easy
>> that you can just look at the inflection point and see where the
>> standard deviation should be drawn? I was never taught that in school.
>> He did provide other examples where he says the depictions are wrong.
>> I will quote him.
>>
>> <http://www.footballguys.com/shickstandard_1_files/image009.gif> From:
>> <http://www.footballguys.com/shickstandard_1.htm>
>> Lines clearly not at a far enough distance from the mean, esp. on the
>> graph to the right.
>>
>> <http://www.gsseser.com/images/StandardDeviation2s.gif> From:
>> <http://www.gsseser.com/Deviation.htm>

>> Lines clearly not at a far enough distance from the mean.
>>
>> <http://www.udel.edu/htr/Statistics/Images/Class12/normal2.gif> From:
>> <http://www.udel.edu/htr/Statistics/Notes/class12.html>
>> Lines clearly shown at way too far a distance from the mean (this is
>> the one I use in my example).
>>
>> Those of you who know math and statistics better can you help me to
>> know who to believe? Seems a Linux based group might not be the best
>> place to get this type of information. I do have them included in the
>> list of newsgroups so the people in the debate can see the answers.

> Thanks to all who contributed. The answer has become clear that Snit
> was right and Steve and his sock puppet CC are both just trolling
> Snit. After dozens of posts of idiotic attacks they can't find flaw
> with his claims.

Correct. And sadly Carroll and cc cannot admit they are wrong so they turn
all discussions into endless attacks. They cannot just be honest and admit
they goofed.

--
The indisputable facts about that absurd debate: <http://goo.gl/2337P>
cc being proved wrong about his stats BS: <http://goo.gl/1aYrP>

Date Subject Author
6/14/12
Read Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Onion Knight
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Ray Koopman
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Snit
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Frederick Williams
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Snit
6/16/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Lusotec
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Kaba
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
Snit
6/15/12
Read Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line
White Spirit
[...]
Steve Carroll
[...]
6/17/12
[...]
Read OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Steve Carroll
6/15/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Onion Knight
6/15/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Snit
6/15/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Onion Knight
6/15/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Snit
6/16/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the
standarddeviation line
Frederick Williams
6/19/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Onion Knight
6/19/12
Read Re: OT: Word to the wise - Re: Visualizing where to draw the standard
deviation line
Snit
6/18/12
Read Re: OT: Summarization of Snit's 'Statistical Analysis' argument - Re: