Topic: operating a toy using computer interface
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 17, 2012 5:27 PM

Frank

Re: operating a toy using computer interface

"Dave " <dbrucedev@gmail.com> wrote in message <jrhj9q$ec4$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Though I have some electronics background, I am not good at practical point of view.
>
> I am trying to design and operate a gantry which can move in x,y and z directions with given distance(from millimeters to centimeters).
>
> As a first step I want to control a toy like device from a computer interface.
>
> I am not able to figure out the point from which I need to start with.
>
> Can I use Simulink to achieve my goal.
> Could anyone suggest me a beginner level tutorial.
>
> I am very much grateful to your help
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

You might start here:

http://www.mathworks.com/academia/lego-mindstorms-nxt-software/

For information on installation and setup (including step-by-step instructions for Windows and Mac), I suggest exploring this page:

http://www.clemson.edu/ces/departments/ece/document_resource/undergrad/matlab/

If you haven't already chosen the gantry you want to work with, this might be your best option. I have no experience with LEGO MINDSTORMS myself (yet), but it impresses me as an interesting control project, and the interface software seems mature and reliable. I suggest you search the 'Newsreader' and 'Answers' to see what others' experiences have been with it before you commit to it.

Looking at the panel on the left side of the TMW page under 'Hardware Resources', there seem to be a number of them in addition to LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT that are compatible with MATLAB and particularly Simulink, although for the project you describe, LEGO may be most appropriate.

Have fun with your project!