Topic: A2T scoring #34, 35, 37
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 7:36 AM

Ryley David

RE: A2T scoring #34, 35, 37

I can't disagree more with them saying that area of a triangle as a decimal is 0. That is quite far from being completely incoherent/incorrect. They used the only correct formula needed to do problem and set it up right. Yes they made 2 mistakes but there is no way they deserve 0 credit for that response.

On a separate note, I may have missed it if this was addressed, but I can't believe on the forces problem that the rubric says to give 3 points if one of the forces is found correctly with no other correct work. How is it possible to give more than half credit when 2 formulas that are identical and certainly of equal difficulty are expected and the student only does one? Could there be a more clear cut example of doing half the work?

Is it summer yet...
Dave Ryley
Beacon, NY

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] on behalf of Evan Romer [evanromer@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:23 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: A2T scoring #34, 35, 37

We called on three questions and got some clear answers on scoring we
had been struggling with.

---------------------------
#34 (area of parallelogram)

Area of a triangle in radical form, clearly 1.
Area of parallelogram as a decimal: clearly 1.
What about area of a triangle as a decimal? SED says 0.

---------------------------
#35 (trig graph with amplitude and frequency)

A two-point question with 5 things they have to get right (sin, 3,
negative, (2x) and y=). If they make two mistakes are they down to a
zero?

SED's answer was: in order to earn 1 point, the student must get two
out of three of the following correct: amplitude, freq and sin -- if
they have "y=." A mistake and no "y=" and it's a zero. See also the
third "1" in the rubric.

So for example, y=-3sin(something wrong) is 1 point; just
-3sin(something wrong) is zero.

We weren't sure about y=3sin(something wrong), but I don't think it
came up?

---------------------------
#37 (within 1 sd of mean)

We tried to argue that since the original numbers have been rounded to
whole minutes, it didn't make sense to report the sd with greater
accuracy than that, so the student who rounded the sd to 15 should not
be penalized. SED wasn't buying it.

But they did volunteer the following guidelines:
* using the sample sd (15.4) instead of the population sd (14.9)
is a concept error = -2 points
* the student who writes sd=14.9 and then rounds to 15 used the
correct sd and rounded inappropriately = -1 point
* same for the student who writes (lower case sigma) = 15
* but for the student who wrote sd=15, or just went ahead and used
an sd of 15, we don't know which sd they used, so -2 points

---------------------------

These are nice clear guidelines to follow and would help us be
consistent statewide. Why the heck don't they say all this in the
rubric???

(BTW, I was impressed that when they tried to call me back with an
answer and found out they had an incorrect call-back phone number for
me, they didn't just give up: they looked on this listserv, found my
email address, and sent me an email asking me to call them.)

(BTW #2, once yesterday and once today when I called, instead of the
usual somewhat sullen phone-answering person, I got the most cheerful
and I'm-here-to-help-you-how-may-I-direct-your-call type of person.
Quite a shock.)

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY