Performance - Yet Again!

Replies: 38   Last Post: Jul 13, 2012 4:54 PM

Ed Wall

Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
att1.html (14.8 K)

On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:54 PM, John Clement wrote:

> So the students who have less than 2 wrong are shaming those who have more
> wrong. That can amount to extreme social pressure. What about students who
> cheat and raise their hands even though they have many wrong? I don't know
> what teachers did with the timed tests they collected when I was growing up,
> because they didn't have computers so they couldn't record every grade.
>
> Low pressure timed tests would only be used for self assessment and scores
> would not be made known to other students, and possibly only to the teacher.
> I didn't usually pay that much attention to such things as the little gold
> stickers put on the charts, but I knew that the teachers would not approve
> of the way I did arithmetic by developing strategies for counting because I
> couldn't remember the facts. I did it quickly enough to get through. Those
> who have not suffered problem because of LD can't understand what you go
> through, and how you desperately hide the problems. So ultimately my
> opposition to timed tests comes from my personal experience plus that of my
> daughter who was made miserable by some teachers. I have seen that this
> sort of thing goes on whether it is mental or physical beatings. I knew
> perfectly well that when I was in the turtles reading group that it meant I
> was a slow reader, but it didn't seem to bother me as I recall.
>
> Fortunately my parents never put pressure on me, and they did what they
> could, so I was not aware that I was having difficulties. After I developed
> coping strategies I was able to compensate for the deficiencies, but a lot
> of students can't do that.

John

I use that bit by LaVoie in a mathematics methods course I teach to make a somewhat similar point. However to be fair, often I hear well meaning people use those words. LaVoie was lucky that he got called on this and listened. Of course, some people never get called. Of course, some people choose not to listen and that is a very different issue. I admit to not listening carefully several times before I finally started to pay attention (smile). Listening carefully and thoughtfully, by the way, is not equivalent to agreeing.

Ed

> Until you are in the position that I was in where my daughter and wife were
> literally crying almost every day, you have NO RIGHT to use such sarcasm
> about an important issue. You DO NOT UNDERSTAND, and you are not capable of
> understanding. Richard LaVoie who is an expert in LD was hit by this
> revelation that he really couldn't understand what it was like to be LD
> after a student got mad at him when he said "I understand".
>
> John M. Clement
> Houston, TX
>

>> On 7/4/2012 12:27 PM, John Clement wrote:

>>> I think most teachers use it as a beating because such

>> tests are given
>>> frequently and with grades attached. If they are effective
>> under low
>>> stress
>>> situations that would be with no grades and no stars on

>> little boards. In
>>> Finland as I recall grading is forbiden in the lower
>> grades. Beatings may
>>> make galley slaves work a little harder, but animal
>> training is routinely
>>> done with rewards rather than punishments because they work
>> much better.
>>> The bad effects of punishments are well known from
>> behaviorist psychology.
>>>
>> And I think you have no basis for your "thinking" of what "most"
>> teachers do, yet you immediately proceed use that baseless
>> assumption to
>> build elaborate theses about beatings, slaves, animal training, and
>> other hobgoblins of feverish minds.
>>
>> My experience is of teachers frequently (weekly or bi-weekly)
>> assigning
>> such tests during certain periods in early grades when arithmetic
>> fluency is developed and most often have students self-score,
>> sometimes
>> using raised hands to assess how many correct/wrong answer
>> each got ("if
>> your have less than 2 wrongs, raise your hand ..."). Once in
>> a blue moon
>> the teacher will actually collect and score for his/her own insight
>> where the class stands. I have never seen such assignment
>> graded in the
>> sense that it has any direct effect on students final grade.
>> But, then,
>> as opposed to the gentleman from Houston I have no idea of
>> what "most"
>> teachers do ... I just assume that they have at least some
>> semblance of
>> common sense.

Date Subject Author
6/24/12
Read [math-learn] Student Evaluations of Teaching Are Not Valid Gauges of Teaching
Performance - Yet Again!
Richard Hake
7/3/12
Read [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
John Clement
7/3/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Robert Hansen
7/3/12
Read RE: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
John Clement
7/3/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Zeev Wurman
7/3/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Robert Hansen
7/5/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Robert Hansen
7/12/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
7/12/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
Robert Hansen
7/13/12
Read RE: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
John Clement
7/13/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
Robert Hansen
7/13/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
Robert Hansen
7/13/12
Read RE: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
John Clement
7/13/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety > Timed Learning.
Rex Boggs
7/13/12
MATH4FOBIX@aol.com
7/3/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Zeev Wurman
7/4/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Ed Wall
7/4/12
Read RE: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
John Clement
7/4/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Zeev Wurman
7/4/12
Read RE: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
John Clement
7/4/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Ed Wall
7/4/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
kathleen Offenholley
7/4/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety
Jerry Epstein
7/4/12
[...]
7/6/12