Topic: Can someone read these line "aloud"
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 27, 2012 4:12 AM

Christoph Lhotka

Re: Can someone read these line "aloud"

Hello,

I would say to somebody else:

On 06/26/2012 10:47 AM, McHale, Paul wrote:
> Can anyone help me with proper Wolfram "lingo"? If you were reading these aloud to someone, what words would you use? For instance. I have heard "/; " or "/." is pronounced "given that". Not sure which. Is there any list of the verbal equivalents?
>

> list /. x_ :> SuperStar[x] /; x> 9

"Replace all patterns with given name x and which turn out to be numbers
greater than 9 by their "superstared" values."

or:

"Mark all numbers in expression list which are greater than 9 by a
superstar."

> list /. {i_ /; i>= 10 :> SuperStar[i]}

"Replace all patterns with name i and which are numbers greater equal
than 10 by their superstared values."

Alternatively you could also try

Speak[HoldForm[list /. x_ :> SuperStar[x] /; x > 9]]

Best,

Christoph