Topic: ranked histogram plot for ensemble member
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 26, 2012 2:54 AM

Frank

Re: ranked histogram plot for ensemble member

"Bruno Luong" <b.luong@fogale.findmycountry> wrote in message <jsose0$c6f$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Pg " <poulomizca@gmail.com> wrote in message <jsoq8r$5hd$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> > No it is some times called Talagrand diagrams, i.e., mentioned in Hamill (2001) paper: "Interpretation of ranked histogram for verifying ensemble forecasts"
>
> What is the formal definition of it? What's difference with a standard histogram?
>
> Bruno

It seems to be a standard histogram, and would work with MATLAB's histogram functions. I have no idea if an existing MEX routine exists for it. I'll defer to Bruno for a definitive opinion.

The paper Pg is referring to is available here for free (as is the PDF): http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/1520-0493%282001%29129%3C0550%3AIORHFV%3E2.0.CO%3B2. A concise description of the calculation of the Talagrand diagram is on slides 9-10 here: http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmoi/product_guide/docs/lib/ens_en.pdf.

I had honestly never heard of this, since my knowledge of meteorology is limited to what I learned to get my Instrument Rating a while ago. The Talagrand diagram seems to be a way of verifying an ensemble of different models (or different model results) w.r.t. observations when such as the MSE would not be appropriate or applicable.

So thank you, Pg, I learned something.