Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 15, 2012 10:06 PM

Antonija Horvatek

[math-learn] Re: Some GeoGebra applets
att1.html (11.7 K)

--- In math-learn@yahoogroups.com, Ed Wall <ewall@...> wrote:

> Antonija
>
> Nice to hear your voice, Thanks for this.
>
> Somewhat lately I and some others have been thinking about helping children gaining some sense of fractions on the number line as without this much of the further work on operations with fractions deteriorates into gibberish (this, by the way, is reflected in past work by Nancy Mack). Any applets or thoughts in this direction?
>
> Ed

Here you can find one my The Geometer's Sketchpad file.
http://www.antonija-horvatek.from.hr/materials-English/Fractions/Fractions_on_number_line.zip
It is possible to use it with projector when explain how to put fractions and mixed numbers on a number line. It is translated into English.
It is allowed to use it in teaching. And, of course, it's allowed to correct all my mistakes in English before using. Thanks in advance if you send mi corrected version. :-)

Second, here is one GGB applet in Croatian (not mine),
http://apleti.normala.hr:8180/xwiki/bin/view/Razlomci/BrojevniPravac .
You should put the red circle to the right position (see the given fraction). After taht, click the 'Povuci' check box (Eng. 'Drag') and then you will know if you put it to the right position. If so, you cached a fish. :-)
Then click the 'Nova to&#269;ka' ckeck box (Eng. 'New point') to get new fraction and solve new problem.

Third, here is another one GGB applet,
http://apleti.normala.hr:8180/xwiki/bin/view/KoordinatniSustav/Poga%C4%91anje+to%C4%8Dke+zadane+razlomkom ,
in Croatian again.
You have some point, e.g. T=(1/4,-5/4).
First, you should use the white slider to adjust division in the coordinate system,
and then you should put the blue circle to the right position.
Then click 'provjeri' check box (Eng. 'check').
If you solved it correctly, the wizard will find his diamond. :-)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Antonija