Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 15, 2012 10:06 PM

Ed Wall

Re: [math-learn] Re: Some GeoGebra applets
att1.html (14.3 K)

Antonija

Thanks. I also took a look at the others. I will need to think about the last a bit more as I'm not sure from your directions what do do (and I gain from the expression on the wizard's face, that I am consistently wrong - smile). I plan get around to doing some 'corrections' for you, but it may not be until the end of the summer

A few comments about what I see here and these are not a criticisms as what you (and others) have done is nice. What I see largely here is what I might call decoding. You decod the fraction so as to place it on the number or decode its position so as to name it. This clearly needs to happen; however, what I'm thinking about is something somewhat different. I'll try to give you a description of how it might work and that may make what I'm thinking about somewhat clearer.

You have a number line with 1, 0, and 1/2 marked (pershaps also outside the unit interval, but this is sufficient to indicated what I'm thinking). You are given a fraction and need to point to that open segment which contains the fraction. This is not a matter of accuracy (i.e. decoding to some degree is assumed), the computer does the correct placing. You are given another fraction and again need to pick the correct open segment containig the fraction and so forth. This seems to me a different form of task - a sort of a number sense or comparative task - than decoding and seems to call for something beyond 'decoding.' While decoding is a problem, I have been finding for a number of years that students (and teachers) are mystified by operations with fractions as they have no feel for relative magnitudes and this is not alleviated all the way through the grades and through college.

I'm not aguing, by the way, that you can't solve this by marking up the interval or doing cross products, but, quite often, it is just a matter of 'understanding' fractions as, one might say, numbers. Oddly perhaps, I consider this as part of being fluent. For example, I think (smile) one should reasonable immediately know that 23/45 is bigger than 1/2 and 13/14 is smaller than 15/16.

Ed