Topic: Joseph Liouville is underappreciated
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 2:16 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Joseph Liouville is underappreciated

In article
<365889ca-c1c8-40ce-914b-d1795bb7eb23@n33g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>, WM
<mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 16 Jul., 11:09, James Dow Allen <jdallen2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > One of my hobbies is reading about the history of mathematics.
> > Reading about Joseph Liouville, who brought Galois' work to the
> > attention
> > of the world and made important advances in mathematical physics,
> > has led me to the conclusion that he is largely underappreciated.
> > For example:
> >
> > The
> > webpagehttp://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context=u.
> > ..
> > shows interesting number-theory results by Joseph Liouville and makes
> > the interesting claim:
> >

> > > Nowadays this identity has fallen into obscurity together
> > > with most other number-theoretic results of Liouville,
> > > who had discovered more formulae in number theory
> > > than anyone else in history, Ramanujan included.

> > Comments?

> I don't know of his number theoretic work, but agree that he has been
> underappreciated. He discovered the transcendental numbers and he
> anticipated Heisenberg's uncertainty relation by his phase space
> theorem.
>
> Regards, WM

How many mathematicians have BOTH a crater on the moon AND a street in
Paris named after them?

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/