Topic: Re (3): Intuitive explanation of currying.
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 22, 2012 11:14 PM

Mok-Kong Shen

Re: Re (3): Intuitive explanation of currying.

Am 21.07.2012 21:21, schrieb Steve Schafer:
[snip]
> So getting back to the written word... Written language is, essentially,
> a general-purpose and extensible pictographic notation. For the most
> part, the pictures have completely lost their original meanings, but
> they're still pictures, just a different kind. I can't speak for others,
> but when I'm reading text, there is no "extra stage of the <sound
> repesenting the word/s>"; for familiar words, the _visual_ arrangement
> of symbols in a word is, as far as I can tell, translated directly into
> the concept in my brain.

I find it very interesting that you wrote this (about European
languages, I presume), for I thought till the present that that
applies only to a language like Chinese where the characters have
genuine pictographic origins.

M. K. Shen