Topic: Vindication of Goldbach's conjecture
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 25, 2012 9:51 AM

mluttgens

Re: Vindication of Goldbach's conjecture

On 24 juil, 17:01, Gus Gassmann <horand.gassm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 24, 10:20 am, mluttgens <lutt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Ah, then better to put it next to the quibble.  In my opinion, the
> > > comment about you proof structure ("look, you always get two primes if
> > > you add and subtract some even number -- show me a counter example") was
> > > much more than a quibble.

> > > <snip>

> > > Thanks.  Much better.
>
> > > <snip>

> > > There's no point to this pre-amble.  It adds nothing to the discussion
> > > and just looks like padding.

> > > All even integers other than zero can be written as the sum of two odd
> > > integers, at least one of them not being prime: 2k = 1 + (2k-1).  It
> > > comes over as a bit odd to say "some" when you are stating an obvious
> > > property of all numbers != 0.

> > > I'd start the argument here...  You don't need (or use) any of the
> > > above.

> > > ...and you are assured of getting two primes for all s, only if GC is
> > > true.

> > > This statement needs a proof.  If GC is true is it's obviously true; if
> > > GC is false, it's false.

> > > The above is not a method of getting two primes -- it's a method of
> > > getting all pairs of odd numbers that sum to s.  One of these will
> > > always be a pair of primes only if GC is true.

> > > No need to date your posts.  Usenet records the date of posting in the
> > > header.

> > > --
> > > Ben.

> > Thank you! You are of course right.
>
> > But my aim was to show that a sum s? = a + b of two uneven numbers, at
> > least one of them not being a prime, could easily be transformed into
> > a sum of two primes, simply by adding and subtracting some even number
> > from its terms:

> > The chosen example was:
>
> > s? = 13 + 15 =  (13-8) + (15+8) = 5+23
> >                     =  (13-2) + (15+2) = 11+17

> > It has been claimed that such transformation could sometimes not be
> > possible.
> > I am wondering about which terms a and b should be chosen to justify
> > that claim.

> That is, of course, a good question. IF Goldbach's conjecture is
> false, then of course there is a counterexample to your claim.
> However, nobody knows at this point one way or the other. However,
> asking for a counterexample and not receiving one is by no means
> equivalent to having found a proof! In essence your approach is this:
>
> Theorem: Goldbach's conjecture is true.
>
> Proof: If it were false, there would be a counterexample. Nobody has
> found one. So the theorem is proven.
>
> That is not mathematics, and I hope you can see why it isn't.
>

> > Till now, I didProof: If it were false, there would be a counterexample. Nobody has
found one. So the theorem is proven. not find a clue in the
litterature, but you have
> > perhaps a reference?
>
> > Marcel Luttgens

I would rather say
"Proof: If it were false, there would be a counterexample. For
theoretical reason, nobody can
find one. So the theorem is proven."

Marcel Luttgens