Topic: TEXAS GOP WAGES WAR ON THINKING
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 30, 2012 10:57 PM

Clyde Greeno

Re: TEXAS GOP WAGES WAR ON THINKING

Thanks, Paul ....
for surfacing what "the math wars" really are all about ... beneath the
superficialities of scholastic "standards" and "scores", etc.

Mankind's survival ("salvation", if you prefer) ... and the socio-economic
health of nations, communities, families, and individuals ... depends on
improvement of personal abilities to think ... rationally, creatively,
analytically, and humanely. Genuine education in genuine mathematics (Vs.
mere data-processing) develops that kind of thinking power. But most of
American core-curricular instruction in "mathematics" actually suppresses
that kind of thinking.

Although living within, and functioning within, "communities" requires
co-operation within the communities' parameters (laws, mores, traditions,
etc.), the righteousness of those parameters always is subject to
reexamination, debate, and updating. Blind subservience to "authority" is
as detrimental to a democracy -- and to its system of education --- as it is
to personal mental health.

Underlying the American tradition of "direct" instruction in mathematics
has been the pervasive theme of *authority* instruction ... "It is so,
because the books and I say so ... and your grade depends on your
performing, accordingly." The instructional "authorities" commonly know far
too little about curricular mathematics, and even less about genuine
education in that area. In truth, good direct instruction can impart
rational learning ... but in practice, most practices of direct instruction
rely on blind subservience.

The "math wars" conflict is not truly over direct Vs. indirect instruction.
It actually is about whether mathematics should be learned, rationally, or
through the dictates of "authorities" ... who might have written math
"bibles" or who just teach their own interpretations of such "bibles." Good
education in good mathematics, while humanistic, is not anti-theistic. But
like democracy, it is antithetical to blind faith and subservience.

Cordially,
Clyde