Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 29, 2012 10:28 PM

cindy

From: Kansas
Registered: 5/14/06
Re: [ap-calculus] Trig competency materials and a cautionary tale

Great point! I always give credit to the author on the materials whenever I know who it is. So much so that my students usually get curious to know who Paul Forester, Dixie Ross, etc are. Then we have a fun time finding them on the Internet and where they teach. It is important for them to know these are really great instructors and we are lucky to be able to learn from them. It isn't uncommon for my students to ask, "Is this from Dixie?"
Cindy Couchman

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Susan Schwartz Wildstrom <susan@wildstrom.com> wrote:

> I have just been accepted as a member of Designated Deriver so that will be a good place for me to (eventually in a week or two) upload my competency quizzes and a set of twenty integration practice worksheets that I will be using biweekly in my multivariable class to insure that my students continue to know HOW to integrate! I will post again after I have done the upload deed.
>
> Now a cautionary tale and my assertion of my ownership of these materials that I will be sharing. Many years ago, before our school system had a nice online system that teachers could use to post materials for their students, I had a website (www.wildstrom.com--it is still there but nothing has been maintained in about five or more years) on which all my assignment sheets and handouts were posted. In particular for my AB calculus course I would post the current assignment sheet and any worksheets that students would be doing within that unit. Over the course of the school year, the assignment sheets and worksheets accreted so by the end of the year, an entire year's materials were there. Then during the summer I would take all of it down and begin again at the start of the next year. One of those years, in about December, I got an email from someone on this list, the gist of which was "I like your materials but why do they only go up through optimization? Is there more?" Not "thank you very much for this open source of interesting materials", not "I would like to use them in my classes, might I have your permission to do so", nothing but a sort of snotty demand for MORE of something that didn't belong to that person. So, and this doesn't even just refer to the stuff I am about to put up, but all of the materials that are so generously shared by many in this group, remember that materials you get from these sources were prepared (even when they are as trivial as what I am offering and something you could easily construct yourself!) by colleagues and respect their ownership of those materials and give credit to them when you do use them. It is not unusual for me to use something I get from a colleague with my own students, and when I do, I am delighted to mention right away that I got these wonderful materials/ideas/projects/whatever from Paul Foerster (or whoever I was fortunate enough to have gotten them from).
>
> SSW
> Susan Schwartz Wildstrom
> Walt Whitman High School
> Bethesda, MD
>
> ====
> Course related websites:
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusab
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusbc
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus

====
Course related websites:
---