Topic: On-line placement exams
Replies: 14   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 12:26 PM

Phil Mahler

Re: On-line placement exams
att1.html (1.4 K)

Two summers ago I sat in on a meeting of muckety mucks in tyc higher ed in
Massachusetts, where I teach. They had an expert* speaking who said that
research shows that self-placement and mandatory testing placement are about
equally efficacious.

In the light of our very high attrition rates in the face of mandatory
testing and placement, I can believe that may be true.

Students have a feeling about how much math they know, and their fear and
commitment level towards math (usually frightened, resentful, and
noncommittal of course).

And it occurs to me that in a course they chose themselves, at least they
have to take some ownership about their success.

Phil

*I don¹t remember who, but he was familiar with AMATYC. :-) And I do realize
that an expert is someone who crosses a state line to tell you something you
already know.