Topic: On-line placement exams
Replies: 14   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 12:26 PM

Fred Siegeltuch

Re: On-line placement exams
att1.html (5.8 K)

Alain,

I respect your position and believe I understand your motivations though I ultimately find your recommendations for my specific institution (and I suspect many others) to be wrong. Let me get a bit more specific. We use the COMPASS and not just for placement in math. If there wasn't the concerns of having sections close out by allowing just anybody to register for any course, students getting discouraged because they get into a course that is too difficult, and the waste of time and money of both tax payers and students, I would gladly get rid of placement testing. As it is, I am seeking to scale it back and make it much more of an advisory and motivational function rather than a hard and fast rule. As a former full time math faculty now working for the administration, I'm looking to move placement testing into control of the math department with tests that they can develop / copy / steal on their own to be a part of advisement that is still simple
enough that it can be carried out by less mathematically incline people with less teaching experience (if any) and still done it a registration / placement office. I just don't believe what you seem to take as fact, namely that the so much randomness inherent in any placement test that it is useless for this purpose. I'd love it if we could do advising on a purely individual, personal level. But since I know there will not be enough funding for that anytime soon, I'm not going to let the lack of a perfect solution prevent me from changing things to at least get to a better solution. While I feel your pain, sometimes I wonder if your strong inclination not to work within the realm of what is politically possible is also one of the major barriers to change.

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.

Sincerely,

Fred