Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Bob

[ap-stat] Grad School Question

Forwarded message:

I went through this 40 years ago and I am not sure things have changed
much;-( The most common fate of folks with a Masters in Statistics is
to become SAS programmers in industry. At some places, you enroll in
the Masters program as a try-out for the PhD program, both of which
are heavy on theory. Neither of those paths are geared toward better
teaching.

There are zillions of programs that lead to a Master of Arts in
Teaching with a specialization in Mathematics, many are online, and
generally tuition has to be reasonable to attract applicants. So I
would consider trying to find one of those that is willing to be
flexible about what content courses you take. In my case I ended up
with more or less of a contract program designed by me;-) You might
put together a statement of goals and a draft program and send it to a
few places and see if you get any bites. Mostly I did NOT but I ended
up at Iowa State because both the Math. Ed. guy (only one in the
dept.) and the Dept. Chair both responded with personal letters
saying, "That sounds interesting. Come out and talk to us."

> From: Erick Gremlich <egremlich@gmail.com>
>
> I live close to Reno, Nevada, with the only university close by being UNR.
> I am interested in doing a Master's in Statistics program to deepen my
> knowledge of Stats for my AP Stats class, but UNR does not offer Stats
> classes on weekends, nights, or late afternoons such that I could take
> classes and still teach at the high school I'm at.
>
> Because of that I have been considering a completely online program, and I
> have found such programs at the University of Washington, Penn State, and
> Texas A&M.
>
> Questions - (1) are there other online Statistics programs you know of that
> I should consider?; (2) what in your mind are the hallmarks of a "good"
> online Masters in Stats program, and are any programs I've mentioned
> "good"?; and (3) what experience have you had with online Stats programs,
> either good or bad?
>
> Another question - I have found scholarships and grants for either teachers
> studying teaching, or statisticians studying statistics, but I have not
> found anything for teachers studying statistics (for the sake of teaching
> it), at least not in the dollar amount that would help me afford such a
> Masters program. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for your ideas and suggestions!
>
> Erick Gremlich
>
> Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
> ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-stat
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_forums/
> To change your subscription address or other settings click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_account/edit
> --f46d044796313bc8b304c67438f6
>
> I live close to Reno, Nevada, with the only university close by being UNR. =
> =A0I am interested in doing a Master&#39;s in Statistics program to deepen =
> my knowledge of Stats for my AP Stats class, but UNR does not offer Stats c=
> lasses on weekends, nights, or late afternoons such that I could take class=
> es and still teach at the high school I&#39;m at.<div>
> program, and I have found such programs at the University of Washington, Pe=
> re there other online Statistics programs you know of that I should conside=
> r?; =A0(2) =A0what in your mind are the hallmarks of a &quot;good&quot; onl=
> ine Masters in Stats program, and are any programs I&#39;ve mentioned &quot=
> ;good&quot;?; and (3) what experience have you had with online Stats progra=
> ms, either good or bad?</div>
> for either teachers studying teaching, or statisticians studying statistic=
> s, but I have not found anything for teachers studying statistics (for the =
> sake of teaching it), at least not in the dollar amount that would help me =
> afford such a Masters program. =A0Do you have any suggestions?</div>

> [...]

Sent from my nine-year-old Dell GX-260 running Mepis Linux 8.0
-------> First-time AP Stats. teacher? Help is on the way! See
http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/Stats2007/Bob%20Hayden/Relief.html
_
| | Robert W. Hayden