Replies: 3   Last Post: Aug 12, 2012 9:43 PM

dennis roberts

Re: [ap-stat] Homework

NOTE:
This ap-stat EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Statistics Teacher
Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
On 8/12/2012 11:52 AM, Deward Palmer wrote:

> My college Diff. Eq. professor had an interesting way of valuing
> homework. He made homework a very small percentage of the total
> grade; BUT, the homework questions WERE his test bank. So, if a
> student did their homework, the student had seen all the possible test
> questions. If the student chose to NOT do their homework, then their
> grade was minimumly affected,

I think I would disagree a lot with this. While the student's homework
that was turned in (which I assume was the case) did not count for much
... if they decided not to do it or not to do much of it ... then it
seems to follow that their grades would be seriously impacted since I
assume that test scores made up a large part of their final grade ...
because they were not practicing on precisely the questions that would
be on the test.

If the students want to do well in the course, they HAVE to work on
those problems ... or else they are at a big disadvantage compared to
the students who do.

I don't have any misgivings about handing out a huge pot of items and
exercises and saying that your tests would be made up from a sample of
these but I can't see how we can think that if they don't work on those
it won't really impact their grade.

---
To unsubscribe click here: